Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Spoiler

It was the Christmas I insisted on no girl presents for me. I wanted only things that a boy would like. I just wanted you to get the message to Santa. He'd been leaving me girl stuff forever and I was sick of it.

My sister was taking her nap when you whispered for me to follow you to a small closet at the back of the house. Inside there were dolls, some dresses and a toy both my sister and I had gone nuts for after seeing it on TV. It was the Flintstone's Dino, the perky purple dinosaur with the baby blue eyes. That toy was a jumbo sized, battery powered, walking, talking, little kid's wet dream. As I reached for it you said, "Oh no! These toys are for your sister. Do you think she'll like them?" I was confused - her birthday was in May and it was December.

And just like that - you spoiled Christmas.
At least you honored my request for boy toys.

You really should have known I could not keep a secret.
I didn't tell her she was getting Dino.
I told her there was no Santa.

No comments: