Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Agent of God

God, you said, brought us together.

But I remember differently. You encouraged me to meet you by implying a deal I could not pass up. I trusted you and flew 2400 miles to see a home that I was already in love with. And you knew that and you threw God in the mix to help seal the deal. Perhaps it was God who jumped in and upped the price you implied I could INCREASE my offer by $125K? No, I'm pretty sure that was you.

God, it seems brought you and the seller of the home together too. You both had brushes with cancer - his wife - your son. Your son recovered. His wife died. So much info to tell someone just there to look at a home. You made sure the seller heard how God brought you and I together too. Was it really ok to have me meet him? Was it really ok to insist you represent us both? God must have been talking to you because all I could hear was my loss = your gain. You even told me how you would spend your commission once I bought the home. With tears, you said, "I'll take my husband and son to visit my adopted daughter in Peru." You really took that sponsor a child thing seriously, huh? My son turned to you and said, "the tears are a nice touch."

You sang "my God is an awesome God" while we road across the lake in the seller's boat. This just after to offered to get him a scotch to drink and to sit on his lap. Once back at the house, you grabbed my hand, and my son's (openly agnostic) and the seller's and made us all pray with you. You thanked God and it was just after that you let me know that the seller would never accept the amount you'd first suggested and that I needed to offer $125K more. Once I made it clear that was not going to happen, you broke out your cigarettes and began to smoke in the car. Your car, your rules, but first thing that morning you'd asked us if it bothered us if you smoked. We said yes, it would bother us.

My son asked you a question about smoking and cancer, "How can you smoke when you almost lost a son to cancer? Don't you know the chances of you getting cancer from smoking is high?" Ok, he is full of advice and went on and on about the percentages and age related facts. Annoying, but he was correct.

Do you recall what you said next? Oh, I'm sure God heard you as well as we did. You said to my 18 year old son, "Well, you are gay. You are going to fuck a guy and die of aids."

5 comments:

Patty Mitchell said...

Did you ever see "American Beauty"? Annette Benning could play this real estate agent well too I'm guessing.

Tori the awsome said...

Did he really say that to your son????

debtink said...

yes, the agent (she) really did say this to my son.

Everything in this blog is true, or as true as any memory can be.

debtink said...

Patty, Annette Benning would be perfect for the part. Though she might be a bit too old for it! Could she sport a raging tan?

Kzinti said...

Holy Hell! From God to dying of Aids. What some people won't do to make a sale...