Sunday, September 21, 2008

Yes

It had been months since I'd spent any time with you.

I'd made myself quite a nice space to live alone. The divorce was going uncontested. I'd been dating. I was serious about one. You had seen us together. He was young and single and cute. You were older than me by, what, 13 years? So he was your junior by 16.

That night, I was expecting anyone at my door, but you. I was not happy to see you, but my smile lied for me. I felt guilt. And my guilt welcomed you into home, my arms, my bed. Somehow I thought if I slept with you one more time, you could find closure.
You were at my door that night looking for a safety net.
You were going to leave your wife and tell her what?
That you'd had an affair with me but I'd broken up with you?
That I'd left my husband but you had not left her?

Guilt kept me quiet while you begged and pleaded, "If I leave my wife will you marry me?"

You were a foreign object in my personal space.
You took up all the air in the room.
I could not wait for you to go.
I said "yes" just to get you to leave.